Bryant Gumbel, best known for Katie Courics ex-husband or something like that, has a history of making inflammatory comments. There are two Gumbel's in this world. Good Gumbel and Bad Gumbel. Good Gumbel is Greg Gumbel, the affable sportscaster. Bad Gumbel is Bryant Gumbel, the cantankerous miserable sportscaster.
Well the Bad Gumbel was at it again on his HBO show Real Time, comparing NBA commissioner David Stern to a "plantation overseer." Bad Gumbel went on to say:
"But his efforts were typical of a commissioner, who has always seemed eager to be viewed as some kind of modern plantation overseer treating NBA men as if they were his boys. It's part of Stern’s M.O. Like his past self-serving edicts on dress code or the questioning of officials, his moves are intended to do little more than show how he's the one keeping the hired hands in their place."
So because he wanted professional athletes to dress in a professional way and because he wants NBA owners to have a system that will prevent the league from going bankrupt, and small market cities from losing teams, he's pretty much a racist, and NBA players are pretty much slaves.
Lets see the salaries of some of these slaves from the 2010 season.
- Kobe Bryant - LA Lakers - 25 Million
- Rashard Lewis - Orlando Magic - 20.5 Million
- Kevin Garnett - Boston Celtics - 19 Million
- Tim Duncan - San Antonia Spurs - 18.7 Million
- Michael Redd - Milwaukee - 18.3 Million
- Pau Gasol - LA Lakers - 17.8 Million
- Andrei Kirilenko - Utah - 17.8 Million
- Yao Ming - Houston - 17.7 Million
- Gilbert Arenas - Washington - 17.7 Million
- Dirk Nowitzki - Dallas - 17.3 Million
- Vince Carter - Orlando - 17.3 Million
- Zach Randolph - Memphis - 17.3 Million
- Carmelo Anthony - Denver - 17.1 Million
- Amare Stoudemire - New York - 16.8 Million
- Dwight Howard - Orlando Magic - 16.5 Million
The average NBA player salary is around 5 million dollars. Highest in pro sports.
I went to public school, so my history might be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure that actual slaves on actual plantations earned less than 5 million dollars a year. Probably more like 2 million.
Charles Barkley (who never heard of me) agrees with me: